Latest Books in our Collection
Cemetery Records: Oswego City, Oswego Town, Volney, and Scriba
Oswego City Newspapers: 1819-present (Can be loaned through local library)
Oswego Newspaper Index from Penfield Library @ SUNY Oswego
Oswego City Directories: 1852-present (Can be loaned through local library)
Oswego County Historical Journals
Census Records are available online through www.censusfinder.com/new_york.htm
Newspapers outside of the city in Oswego County are available from New York State Historic Newspapers.
Searching for Deaths, Marriages, and Births at the Oswego Public Library
- If you are 100% sure of the date, find the appropriate reel of microfilm in the drawers near the Reference Desk and microfilm reader/printers.
- If you aren't completely sure of the date check fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html
- Enter the person's name and Oswego in the search box. There is no need to put in "death, obituary, marriage, birth," or any other particular event information. You can put in a year as well to limit the search results.
- You can also see the June 1, 1859 to May 31, 1860 deaths by visiting www.newhorizonsgenealogicalservices.com/1860-mortality-schedule-ny-oswego-county.htm
- Since spellings differ and fultonhistory.com was not spell-checked after conversion visit search.ancestry.com/search
- The Oswego Public Library NOW has access to this database site if you visit the Library. Ancestry.com will propose many possible spellings for you. If you find a correct or alternate spelling... or even a different date... you can then search our microfilm, fultonhistory.com, and even google.com with the name, location, and possibly year.
You can search them all at once through FindAGrave.com
New York Web Resources
New York State Library: State Census Records
Census Records are available at the Oswego County Records Center and at the Roswell P. Flower Memorial Library, 229 Washington, St., Watertown, NY 13601.
Other Area Resources
OSWEGO COUNTY RECORDS CENTER: 384 E. River Rd., Oswego NY 13126
State Census through 1925.
Cemetery records and census reports.
Deeds, assessment records, and manuscripts.
Maps from the 1800's showing property owners.
BUREAU OF VITAL RECORDS: State Dept. of Health, Vital Records Sec., Genealogy Unit, P.O. Box 2602, Albany NY 12220-2602
Application forms may be requested by mail or a PDF file accessed here.
Birth Records – $22.00 each
Death Records – $22.00 each
Marriage Records – $22.00 each
OSWEGO COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY: 135 E. 3rd St., Oswego NY 13126
OSWEGO CITY CLERK’S OFFICE: City Hall, 13 W. Oneida St., Oswego NY 13126
Copies of documents start at $15.00 each
MORMON WEBSITE: www.familysearch.org
1. No information shall be issued from a record of birth unless a record has been on file for at least 75 years or more and the person who the record relates is known to the applicant to be deceased.
2. No information shall be issued from a record of birth that has been placed in a confidential file.
3. No information may be issued for a record of death unless the record has been on file for at least 50 years or more.
4. Vital records were mandatory in 1880 but not enforced until 1890.