Books to Read in a Lifetime
We would love to help answer your questions or hear your suggestions -- books, DVDs, programs, and more you would like to see at the Oswego Public Library.
You may run our slide show Windows Media file by going to Induction of Trustees.wmv
The New Public Library in Oswego – The Ladies Provided For. – The new Gerrit Smith Library in this city, is now open to the public. For some weeks past, Chester Hull, Esq., the Librarian, with assistance from the Trustees and others, has been engaged in classifying, numbering and arranging the books, and this work is now consummated, and all things are ready for the accommodation of the public. The library contains about 8,000 volumes, embracing an extensive variety and a large number of standard works. One feature in the arrangements, which will meet with universal favor, is the provision made for the accommodation of the Ladies. An exclusive apartment has been provided for them, so that they may go there and enjoy a pleasant literary feast, without intrusion from the other sex. This apartment is fitted up quite luxuriously with sofas, &c., to render it attractive to those for whom it is intended. The library is, therefore, fairly opened and has become a living fixed institution among us, and in time, doubtless, it will rank among the finest institutions of the kind in the country.
– Oswego Palladium, Tuesday Morning, July 14, 1857
Alliance Bank filmed a commercial featuring our wonderful Story Times.
- Always use your finger or the end of a pen to guide your eyes by pointing it under the words you are reading. (This really helps to make you conscious of the speed at which you are reading, which is surprisingly important.)
- Every day, read something you chose for 10 minutes at your normal speed and mark where you started and finished. Then try reading that exact same passage in 5 minutes.
Contact Carol Ferlito, Director, Oswego Public Library.
- After finding everything you wanted in the eMedia Library, go to your eCart and click on the Download button.
- Open the File when asked. This will download the file to your computer and open Adobe Digital Editions so you can view it. Remember to download and install Adobe Digital Editions if you have not already done this.