OSWEGO S.D. PUBLIC LIBRARY
Oswego, New York
Library Director Position
Master’s degree in librarianship from a library school that is accredited by the American Library Association or recognized by the New York State Education Department as following accepted education practices and two years of professional library experience subsequent to MLS.
(Some universities have renamed their programs and no longer designate the degree as a Masters in Librarianship. Contact the New York State Library's Division of Library Development for assistance.)
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Eligibility for a New York State Public Librarian's professional certificate at time of application; possession of certificate at time of appointment.
Education, Experience and Training:
The library shall employ as director only persons who hold the public librarian's professional or provisional certificate or a certificate of qualification in Library Science.
A minimum of three years’ experience preferred as a librarian in an increasingly responsible supervisory and/or administrative position. Applicants must have a minimum of one year experience in the capacity as a supervisor. Substantial experience in public services and dealing with the public.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Administers board policies, makes policy recommendations to board
- Prepares budget for Library Board approval, monitors and approves expenditures
- Supervises personnel directly or through subordinates
- Administers maintenance of library facilities and equipment
- Reviews and approves selection of all materials for purchase.
- Participates in professional meetings, classes, conferences, and workshops.
- Reads professional materials to update and maintain knowledge and skills
- Accountable for all activities, programs and services.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the theories, principles, and objectives of library science and library organization theories and current trends and developments in the library field.
- Knowledge of and experience with effective participative management techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of library reference sources, print and online.
- Considerable knowledge of online automation.
- Working knowledge of budgetary and accounting processes of the department.
- Ability to plan, organize, supervise, and evaluate the work of employees in diversified library activities.
- Broad experience in collection development and programming
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious working relationships with employees, other agencies, and the general public
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing
Salary and Benefits:
- Position: Full-Time 40 hours per week
- Salary: commensurate with education and experience.
- Benefits: Vacation and sick days; Health Insurance
- Specific terms of employment to be negotiated
Statement of Non-Discrimination:
The Oswego Public Library grants equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to an individual’s age, sex, color, religion, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, handicapped status, or sexual orientation. The library complies with all federal and state regulations dealing with employment.
Instructions to Applicants:
Interested individuals meeting the qualifications should email Catherine Santos, the Vice President of the Board of Trustees:
1. a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references; and
2. the Application for Examination or Employment, City of Oswego Department of Personnel form. The link for the application form is: https://www.oswegony.org/work/application-rev0119 (link is external).
The application review process will begin December 4th, 2020 and will be ongoing until the position is filled. Questions can be sent to Catherine Santos at firstname.lastname@example.org